AIIMS Rishikesh 3rd ESTRO-AROI GYN Teaching Course
Department of Radiation Oncology, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, AIIMS, Rishikesh is organizing 3rd ESTRO-AROI GYN Teaching Course on 14th to 17th March, 2019
Theme : 3D Radiotherapy with a Special Emphasis on Implementation of MRI/CT Based Brachytherapy in Cervical Cancer
Target Group :
The course is aimed at teams consisting of radiation oncologists and medical physicists from institutions with concrete plans to implement 3D radiotherapy for cervical cancer, with a special interest in MR/ CT Image Based Brachytherapy. The institutions should have the necessary infrastructure for 3D brachytherapy available (afterloader, access to 3D imaging, CT/MR compatible applicators and a relevant treatment planning system) to facilitate the initiation of implementation of 3D techniques after the course. By participation the participants have the possibility to further develop and refine their 3D approach over time and get feedback on their progress with implementation. Participants should therefore be prepared to invest time in implementation of 3D techniques in between courses and to take part in homework / feedback efforts.
Course Aim/Rationale :
The course aims to :
• Learn about principles of 3D image-based EBRT and brachytherapy including techniques and treatment planning
• Provide understanding of commissioning, quality assurance, principles of planning, plan evaluation and reporting of 2D and 3D brachytherapy in cervical cancer
• Introduce 3D image-based target concepts of GTV, CTV and PTV including both EBRT and brachytherapy in cervical cancer
• Enable practical implementation of 3D techniques in EBRT and brachytherapy in cervical cancer
• Provide an overview on the radiation therapy (external radiation and brachytherapy) in cervical cancer. Learning Outcomes
By the end of this course participants should be able to:
• Understand the rationale of 3D and apply concepts of advanced brachytherapy techniques in clinical practice
• Perform contouring and treatment planning for 3D image guided EBRT and brachytherapy in clinical practice
• Implement procedures for 3D image guided brachytherapy in cervical cancer in own department
• Implement advanced EBRT techniques in cervical cancer in own department. Course Content
• Normal and pathologic anatomy of female pelvis.
• Image based anatomy including US, CT, MRI and conventional radiography.
• CTV/ITV/PTV for external irradiation.
• Combination of external irradiation and brachytherapy.
• Different application techniques in brachytherapy.
• ICRU 89 concepts: GTV, CTV, PTV at diagnosis and at time of brachytherapy for 2D and 3D brachytherapy.
• Dose, dose-rate and fractionation and overall treatment time.
• Radiobiological effects from combined external irradiation and brachytherapy, linear quadratic model.
• Prescribing, recording and reporting including ICRU- GEC-ESTRO 89 recommendations.
• Therapeutic outcome: radio-chemotherapy, image based EBRT and brachytherapy.
• Introduction to EMBRACE studies.
• Commissioning and Quality Assurance of various processes involved 3D treatment planning.
• There will be parallel session for Physicist where intricacies of Brachytherapy planning will be discussed.
• There will be two different tracks adapted to different levels of clinical experience among participants:
“General track” and “Experienced track” (related to brachytherapy).
Before commencing this course participants should have :
• Basic knowledge of principles and experience with multi-modality management of cervical cancer
• Basic knowledge of and experience with radiological patho-anatomy relevant to cervical cancer
• Experience with existing external beam and brachytherapy workflows and processes in cervical cancer.
• Basic infrastructure in your department which facilitates post-course implementation of 3D image guided brachytherapy (afterloader, access to volumetric imaging, MRI/CT compatible applicators, and treatment planning system).
Teaching Methods :
• Lectures / tutorials: 16 hours
• Practical workshop: 8 hours
• Applicators commissioning and reconstruction: 6 hours – Physicists
• Video presentations: 2 hours – Clinicians
The tutorials include discussions of basics, evidence based treatments, contouring guidelines, various processes involved in advanced EBRT and brachytherapy techniques and quality assurance. The practical hands on demonstration covers a direct learning process involved in approach, brachytherapy techniques, contouring exercises, evaluation and discussions on 3D radiotherapy.
Methods Of Assessment :
• Contouring (FALCON tool) and dose planning exercises (pre- and post-course homework)
• Interactive feedback through audience voting on specific questions during lectures
• MCQ (interactive session at the end of the course)
• ESTRO teaching course evaluation form.
How to apply :
Interested candidate need to send registration form by mail to :
Prof Manoj Gupta
(ESTRO-AROI Course Organizer)
Head, Radiation Oncology
249203 (U.K.) INDIA
Registration Fee :
1. Indian Delegate :
Physician or Physicist : 8500 INR
Physician & Physicist : 15000 INR
2. Foreign Delegate :
Physician or Physicist : 250 USD
Physician & Physicist : 400 USD
Mode of payment :
Candidate can pay application fee online
Account Name : Medical Education
Account Number : 6189000100043376
Bank : Punjab National Bank
Branch : Rishikesh Pashulok
IFSC Code : PUNB0618900
MICR Code : 249024155
Important dates :
Last Date of Registration : 31st January, 2019
Venue : Medical College Block, 4th Floor: Lecture Hall- 4, AIIMS, Rishikesh-249203 (U.K.) INDIA
|For Official Notification & Registration Form||Click Here|
|To Apply Online||NA|
|For Latest Job Notification:||Click Here|
|For Job Notification State- Wise:||Click Here|